Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Let's Go to the Hospital and Eat Cake

This was DEFINITELY my biggest cake to date. I was asked a couple of weeks ago by Northern Health to create a cake to celebrate the construction process of the new hospital being built in Fort St John. I was really excited and honored to be asked to create this cake. After several meetings and looking at pictures and diagrams, I started to plan. I also sought the assistance of Kara of A Cake to Remember who constructed a large building cake recently. She gladly answered ALL my questions in regard to construction.

The cake was made from both chocolate and vanilla cake iced in Italian Meringue buttercream. I covered the walls, cut out small windows and and constructed the signs all from fondant. The trees were wired from floral wire and then dipped in chocolate. I then cut out over 1000 leaves and attached them to each tree with chocolate. Grey sugarpaste was laid out to resemble sidewalks and then green grass was piped all over the board. I have never done SO MUCH piping in my life before. My hand was so sore I couldn't even grip a pencil after that.

Overall, the cake took over 3 days to construct (if you added up all the hours), but I'm glad with the outcome.


1 comment: