Monday, October 10, 2011
1 doz Oatmeal Cranberry Cookies
2 doz Whipped Shortbread
2 doz Thumbprints
2 doz Spritz
2 doz Buttons
1 doz Jewelled Cookies
ALL 120 COOKIES FOR $75.00. Cookies are baked fresh, so pre-order is required. Pick up dates: Dec 2nd, Dec 9th ,Dec 16th and Dec 19th.
Holiday Treats (Limited time only)
Custom Decorated Cookies $1.00/inch
Gingerbread Men $3.00/ea
Peppermint Chocolate Cupcakes $3.25/ea
Christmas Candy Cane Cupcakes $3.25/ea
Red Velvet Cupcakes with White Chocolate Buttercream $3.25/ea (Please Note: Min of 1 dozen)
Wednesday, July 27, 2011
Just Like Gram's is offering Back-to-School cookie specials. We are offering a package of 4 doz nut-free, wholesome homemade cookies to get your kid's lunches off to a great start.
Each package is $50 and includes:
Chocolate Chip Cookies
Cookie are baked fresh, so pre-order is required. Cookie packages are available for pickup: Sept 6, Sept 12, Sept 19 and Sept 26. Just give us a call or email us to order your package today.
Sunday, April 24, 2011
Just Like Gram's is celebrating it's 5Th year anniversary this May! WOW! I can hardly believe it's been that long. The time has flown by so quickly.
I still remember the day when I started to envision my business and what I was going to name it. I was driving through the Pine Pass with my sister on my way back from Vancouver. We were discussing all sorts of name possibilities. We got off topic talking about doing some baking and hoping to have it "just like our Gram's". I then said. "HEY, THAT'S IT! What about Just Like Gram's?" My sister wholeheartedly supported the idea, knowing how much we loved our Gram's baking and the importance it has held in our lives.
We have grown from just baking the occasional muffins, cookies and pies for school teachers to a custom cake design business providing top quality cakes and cupcakes. We have been featured on on-line blogs, wedding websites and even on local televsion. I am pleased with the growth we have seen and am excited at what the future holds for us.
TO CELEBRATE ....
We will be giving away (i.e.FREE) ONE (1) dozen of our Gourmet-flavoured cupcakes each week in May.
All you have to do is email us to enter to win. The FIRST person to email us wins the cupcakes.
Contest runs: May 2, 9, 16 and 23.
* Delivery is not included. Cupcakes must be picked up by Friday of each week. Additional decoration is not included. Cannot be combined with any other offer. We do not ship our cupcakes.
Friday, April 22, 2011
Here are a couple of SMASH cakes we have created for her so far.
Saturday, April 16, 2011
Wednesday, April 13, 2011
Monday, February 21, 2011
Wednesday, February 16, 2011
Monday, February 14, 2011
Last week we received a phone call from a sweet gentleman who wanted to order a special birthday cake for his wife. He wanted to include her favorite color "purple" but coincide with Valentine's Day! He chose tuxedo cake filled with raspberry cheesecake filling iced in Italian Meringue buttercream and then covered in purple fondant.
This peach pie was a special request of my husband. He LOVES peach struesel pie and when I asked him if he wanted anything special for Valentine's Day, this is what he ordered. The only difference was that he ordered 2 pies, not 1. You see at Christmas he wanted peach pie for his birthday, but our 9 year old son got into it and by the time he was through eating it, my poor husband ended up only getting 1 piece of his birthday pie. SO, this time, he wanted to be prepared and asked for 2 pies.
Tuesday, February 1, 2011
The cake was made from both chocolate and vanilla cake iced in Italian Meringue buttercream. I covered the walls, cut out small windows and and constructed the signs all from fondant. The trees were wired from floral wire and then dipped in chocolate. I then cut out over 1000 leaves and attached them to each tree with chocolate. Grey sugarpaste was laid out to resemble sidewalks and then green grass was piped all over the board. I have never done SO MUCH piping in my life before. My hand was so sore I couldn't even grip a pencil after that.
Overall, the cake took over 3 days to construct (if you added up all the hours), but I'm glad with the outcome.
Hand Decorated Custom Valentine Sugar Cookies - $2.75 each (min of 12)
Valentine Cupcakes: $2.50 each (min of 12)
- Strawberry Passion - Strawberry cupcake with strawberry buttercream
- Red Velvet - Red Velvet cupcake with cream cheese buttercream
- Chocolate Truffle - Chocolate cupcake with chocolate ganache
- Chocolate Raspberry - Chocolate raspberry cupcake with raspberry buttercream
- Chocolate Brownie - Chocolate cupcake with pink buttercream finished with a chocolate brownie heart.
Monday, January 24, 2011
Cake flavours were vanilla with Italian Meringue buttercream filling, iced in traditional buttercream and then covered in fondant. I topped off the cake with black fondant to resemble oil. Completing the cake was a chocolate oil derrick with chocolate spewing from the top.
Thursday, January 20, 2011
Sculpted cakes are always a challenge since I receive very few requests for these type of cakes. But, I was up to the challenge, and since I loved going 4x4ing myself, I found this cake lots of fun.
So I built up the hill from vanilla cake filled with raspberry buttercream iced and carved it and then covered it with a blend of green and brown fondant. The jeep was carved from chocolate cake filled with buttercream and then iced and covered with black fondant. All the rocks, jeep accents and the dog were molded from fondant. The mud was pretty easy to do just by spreading on brown royal icing. The jeep wouldn't be complete without mud splatters all over the front and tires. Lastly, cookie crumbs were sprinkled all over to resemble dirt.
Tuesday, January 18, 2011
Over the years I have been working on achieving a certain look and feel to my booth and I think I am finally getting there. It's hard to believe that this was my 5th bridal show and when I look back, I cringe because I still remember my first booth - 4 cakes with red and white balloons in the background. UGH!!! I really loved how my booth turned out this year complete with black skirting, lavender tablecloths and lavender draping. I even got a new sign made this fall too.
Overall the show went very well, I was busy answering questions and handing out tons of cupcake samples. I made over 400 samples consisting of red velvet with white chocolate cream cheese, chocolate with traditional buttercream, and vanilla with raspberry buttercream. I went home at the end of the night with about 2 doz samples to the delight of my family who quickly devoured them.
Part of this years bridal show, I handed out these great coffee mugs designed by Imagine That to all the brides who stopped by my booth. Each mug had a few pictures of my cakes complete with logo and contact information. The words "Bride" were written on each mug for that personal touch.
Vintage Suitcase Cake
I created this cake using an assortment of handmade gumpaste flowers overflowing the top. To create a vintage feel, I brushed a mixture of vodka and warm brown gel paste on numerous times in varying strengths. Adding to the charm, latches were created from molds from some of my treasured brooch collection.
This simple cake was created just for the sake of simplicity. I wanted to show brides the option of having a simple, yet elegant cake. Flowers were silk and the cake was decorated with a simple ribbon and scroll work.
This cake I ABSOLUTELY love, it is my favorite to date. The whole world of molds opened up before me when I was designing this cake. First of all, I wanted the look and feel of ivory and gold. I just love how those two colors go together. I then got out my trusted brooch and button collection and started playing around making molds. After narrowing down my design, I got to work and put all the elements together. The overall design included quilting, gold swiss dots, gumpaste bow, gold painted scroll work and hand molded cameo brooch and buttons.
Monday, January 17, 2011
Friday, January 14, 2011
"The cake was perfect. I still dream about eating the delicious spice cake layers. Thank you Tara for exceeding my cake dreams!"
Wednesday, January 12, 2011
So, looking back at our 2010 resolutions, how did we fare?
Resolution 1) Marketing:
- This year we launched our new and updated website. I ABSOLUTELY love my new website. It so much more easier for me to maintain, plus the look is more sophisticated and elegant compared to my older more simpler version.
- We also participated in some on-line marketing on Fort St John's community website http://www.energeticcity.ca/
- plus we added a Facebook and Twitter page.
- participated in several community trade shows
Resolution 2) Delivery
- Well, I think this is going to be one of those issues that is going to be on-going for me and will never truly be resolved. Obtaining a store front is just not an option right now. Part of the reasons for this is my schedule is very eratic right now. My children moved to a new school which is in a rural area in the opposite direction from the school they used to attend. I am up at 5AM to get them ready for school and we leave at 6:45 to drive to catch their 1 1/2 hr bus ride. Combined with their after school activities, I sometimes have to pick them up at either 2:30 or 4:00 depending on the activity. So for now, I am just giving customers the option of picking up thier orders and if they want delivery, I charge a delivery fee. One exception is wedding cakes, delivery is included with all wedding cake orders within Fort St John and Taylor.
Resolution 3) Personal: Weight Loss
- This year it was my goal to try to lose some unwanted lbs. So far, I have gone down 1 size and lost 9 lbs since Sept 2010. My goal is to lose 6 more lbs. by the end of February.
So what about 2011? What plans do I have for this year?
- Marketing still.... I plan to continue various forms of on-line advertising, plus participate in various trade shows. I recently purchased these cute sticky note pads to hand out to clients. I really loved how they turned out.
2. Blog MORE, MORE and MORE.... I am absolutely terrible for keeping up with this, so this is my resolution to attend to my blog on a regular basis.
3. Try new recipes. Last year I did so much cak'n, the last thing I wanted to do was bake for my family. Well, I got some new recipe magazines with neat cookie recipes, so I plan to try at least 1 new recipe a month.
4. Lose those last few lbs by February.